[Skip to content]



St Patrick's Church, Nuthall. The plaque is below the stained glass window and is a brown mottled nowy headed alabaster tablet with rebated edges, moulded border, and a cross and palm fronds at the head; inscription incised in upright capital lettering; grey mottled marble backboard.

UKNIWM Ref - 7076

St Patrick's church, Kimberley Road, Nuthall, Nottingham. The memorial comprises a stained glass window in the south wall of the nave and an alabaster and slate tablet below. The tablet bears the dedication: 'This window is erected to the Glory of God and in ever loving memory of those brave men of Nuthall who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great war of 1914-1918 in the cause of justice and freedom.' Nuthall war memorial committee raised £183 1s 6d which met the cost of the window (approx. £94), the tablet (approx. £41) and the costs of the faculties and the service of dedication. The memorial was probably dedicated some time after September 1920, when the bills for the memorials were paid, and before the end of November by which time the accounts for the costs associated with the service of dedication had been met. The window was supplied and installed by Burlison & Grylls, one of the most successful stained glass firms in England, and the tablet was supplied and installed by FS Birch, monumental sculptor, of Montague Street, Bulwell. (Sources: Nottinghamshire Archives, ref PR 25,833-25,834, St Patrick's church. Southwell Diocesan Magazine, Vol XXXIII Jan 1920 No. 382 - Dec 1920 No.393.)

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

Cyril John Beardsmore - Cyril John Beardsmore

Victor William Beardsmore - Victor William Beardsmore

John Booth - John Booth

Thomas Hollis Hall - Thomas Hollis Hall

Charles Hurt - Charles Hurt

Arthur Langley - Arthur Langley

George Priestley - George Priestley

Harry Priestley - Harry Priestley

Ernest Roberts - Ernest Roberts

Walter Roberts - Walter Roberts

Albert Walters - Albert Walters

Photos
  • St Patrick's Church, Nuthall. The plaque is below the stained glass window and is a brown mottled nowy headed alabaster tablet with rebated edges, moulded border, and a cross and palm fronds at the head; inscription incised in upright capital lettering; grey mottled marble backboard.
    Photo Peter Gillings - St Patrick's Church, Nuthall. The plaque is below the stained glass window and is a brown mottled nowy headed alabaster tablet with rebated edges, moulded border, and a cross and palm fronds at the head; inscription incised in upright capital lettering; grey mottled marble backboard.
  • Stained glass window 
A straight headed window with two trefoil headed stained glass lights and two tracery infill panes; left light depicts St George and right light St Martin (patron saint of soldiers), both in armour; a brown mottled nowy headed alabaster tablet below has rebated edges, moulded border, and a cross and palm fronds at the head; inscription incised in upright capital lettering; grey mottled marble backboard.
    Photo Peter Gillings - Stained glass window A straight headed window with two trefoil headed stained glass lights and two tracery infill panes; left light depicts St George and right light St Martin (patron saint of soldiers), both in armour; a brown mottled nowy headed alabaster tablet below has rebated edges, moulded border, and a cross and palm fronds at the head; inscription incised in upright capital lettering; grey mottled marble backboard.