[Skip to content]



This photo was taken by Peter Gillings

UKNIWM Ref - 26998

Memorial (obelisk-type) is in churchyard of St Peter's church, unveiled 5th January 1921 by Rev. C.B. Collinson (Vicar of Hayton), dedication by The Venerable The Archdeacon of Newark, Egbert Hacking, designed and built by Sharpe & Hoggard (of Retford) Historic information source(s): Retford Times, 7th January 1921 Memorial description: Square tapering plinth surmounted by obelisk; inscription in black lettering; Portland stone; Inscriptions read: “ERECTED BY THE PARISHIONERS OF HAYTON WITH TILN IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE YOUNG MEN FROM THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918, (names), DECEMBER 1920, "GREATER LOVE HATH ON MAN THAN THIS THAN A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS" JOHN 15.13”

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

Robert Emson - Robert Emson

Cyril Whitworth Parkin - Cyril Whitworth Parkin

Charles W Tomlinson - Charles William Tomlinson

Photos
  • This photo was taken by Peter Gillings
    Hayton with Tiln Obelisk - This photo was taken by Peter Gillings
  • Photo taken by Peter Gillings
    St Peters Church Hayton - Photo taken by Peter Gillings