[Skip to content]



Photograph courtesy of Peter Gillings

UKNIWM Ref - 38767

The memorial is on ground given by the Duke of Portland and was unveiled by Mrs H. Huntsman of Lound Hall on 14th August 1921 and dedicated by Rev. C.N. Hatfield, the vicar of Sutton-cum-Lound. The memorial was designed and constructed by Sharpe & Hoggard of Retford; the cost was approximately £200. Description: two-stepped light stone base surmounted by square dark stone tapering plinth and light stone obelisk; Scottish granite; incised inscriptions on sides of plinth, that on south face reads: “TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE YOUNG MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918, (names) 1939 – 1945 (names)” and on other three faces: “THOSE WHO SERVED (names).” The memorial was originally surrounded by a wall and railings which had been removed by the 1970s. Historic information source(s): Retford Times, 5th August 1921, 12th August 1921 & 19th August 1921.

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

E Edwards - Ernest Albert Edwards

J Exton - John Edward Exton

W Hindley - William Hindley

W Potterton - William Potterton

P Townend - Percy Townend

Photos
  • Photograph courtesy of Peter Gillings
    Memorial - Lound village green - Photograph courtesy of Peter Gillings
  • Photograph of the names of the five men who died.  Photograph Peter Gillings.
    Memorial - Lound village green - Photograph of the names of the five men who died. Photograph Peter Gillings.
  • Photograph showing the names of the men who served and returned (A-Hu).  Photograph Peter Gillings.
    Memorial - Lound village green - Photograph showing the names of the men who served and returned (A-Hu). Photograph Peter Gillings.
  • Photograph showing the names of those who served and returned (Hu-Ri). Photograph Peter Gillings.
    Memorial - Lound village green - Photograph showing the names of those who served and returned (Hu-Ri). Photograph Peter Gillings.
  • Photograph showing the names of those who served and returned (S-W). Photograph Peter Gillings.
    Memorial - Lound village green - Photograph showing the names of those who served and returned (S-W). Photograph Peter Gillings.