[Skip to content]



Photo taken by Peter Gillings

UKNIWM Ref - 27044

Memorial cross, unveiled 8th August 1920 by Mrs Warner Turner (of Cuckney House), dedication ceremony conducted by Rev. J.W. Smith (Vicar of Cuckney) assisted by Rev J Howard Bloomer of Whaley Thorns. The memorial is made of Roche Abbey stone and was designed and made by Lidster & Brammer (of Worksop); the stone cost £18 leaving a balance of £24, of which approximately £4 was used to erect railings around the memorial. These were manufactured by Messrs Blake and Beeley, Mansfield, Notts. Nether Langwith Parish Council is responsible for the care and maintenance of the memorial which was restored in 2013 with a grant from Nottinghamshire County Council. The name panels were replaced, the railings restored and the surrounding area landscaped. The memorial was re-dedicated on 12th October 2013. Historic information source(s): Worksop Guardian, 13th August 1920; Retford Times, 13th August 1920

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

J Bacon - Joseph Bacon

E Bennett - Edwin Bennett

EC Booker - Ernest Booker

Cicely Eady - Cicely Eady

JW Groves - John William Groves

H Ibbotson - Harry Ibbotson

T Johnson - Thomas Johnson

H Kirk - Harold Kirk

GB Stubbins - George Blatherwick Stubbins

E Swales - E Swales

O Willis - Oscar Willis

TN Wright - Thomas Nicholson Wright

Photos
  • Photo taken by Peter Gillings
    Nether langwith - Village memorial - Photo taken by Peter Gillings
  • Photo taken by Peter Gillings
    Nether Langwith - Village memorial - Photo taken by Peter Gillings
  • Information board within the memorial railings
    - Information board within the memorial railings
  • Original Memorial unveiled August 1920 - supplied by R Farrand
    - Original Memorial unveiled August 1920 - supplied by R Farrand
  • War Memorial, Nether Langwith with restored inscription, photograph is courtesy of Barbara Grayson
    Nether Langwith memorial - War Memorial, Nether Langwith with restored inscription, photograph is courtesy of Barbara Grayson