[Skip to content]



Stanton on the Wolds - All Saints Church

A cross erected to remember three young men who perished during The Great War.

UKNIWM Ref - 27294

The carved stone cross was erected in 1920 near the north-west corner of the church. The cost of the memorial was raised by public subscription (£21 11s) and it was made by William Bryans, the Overseer of Stanton for the Bingham Union. The memorial was cleaned and moved to its present position in a new memorial area outside the old churchyard in 1999. The memorial was rededicated at a service conducted by Bishop Roy Williamson on 30 October 1999. The dedication reads: 'In grateful remembrance of the following parishioners who fell in the Great European War 1914-1019 (names). They have fought a good fight.' (Sources: 'Stanton on the Wolds: a brief history of the village', compiled and edited by Alan and Val Hunt and published by Stanton on the Wolds Parish Council, 2006, and Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project). There is a photocopy of part of an apparent subscription list for the Stanton on the Wolds monument 'for fallen soldiers to be placed in the churchyard' which has been wrapped around photographs relating to High Pavement Grammar School in Nottinghamshire Archives, ref SBX/282/60/2. The money amounts to £26 12s 7½d

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

Joseph Hatherley - Joseph Hatherley

Leonard Hatherley - Leonard Hatherley

Tom H Kemp - Tom Henry Kemp

Photos
  • A cross erected to remember three young men who perished during The Great War.
    Stanton Cross - A cross erected to remember three young men who perished during The Great War.
  • All Saints Church. Photograph Rachel Farrand (October 2011)
    All Saints, Stanton on the Wolds - All Saints Church. Photograph Rachel Farrand (October 2011)
  • Inscription on memorial. Photograph Rachel Farrand (October 2011)
    All Saints, Stanton on the Wolds - Inscription on memorial. Photograph Rachel Farrand (October 2011)