[Skip to content]



Photo shows the war memorial which was in St Mary's Roman Catholic Church and which was removed in 1960 and is no longer on display in the church. 
Photo courtesy of Robert Illett from the collection of Ian and Roz Davies.

Memorial unveiled 22 August 1920. A Trust was created for a Foundation Mass to be said every year until 1960 for the repose of the souls of the fallen. It was removed in 1960. It was designed by Mr C P Blatchley and erected on the North wall, it was six feet long and five feet broad. The inscription reads ;- Of your charity, pray for - 15 names - who died fighting for their King and Country in the 'Great War' of 1914-1918 on whose souls sweet Jesus have mercy.

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

John Earl Bingley - John Earl Bingley

John Henry Blackmore - John Henry Blackmore

Matthew Drake - Matthew Drake

J William Franklin - John William Franklin

Thomas T Gornay - Thomas Tournay

Walter Pemberton Hallam - Walter Pemberton Hallam

Arthur William King - Arthur William King

Patrick Mangan - Patrick Mangan Aka O'kavanagh

William Marsden - William Marsden

Henry Schupp - Henry Schupp

Fred Scott - Fred Scott

Herbert E Watkins - Herbert Watkins

Bernard Watkins - Bernard Watkins

Bernard Renshaw White - Bernard Renshaw White

John Edward B Willis - John Edward Bernard Willis

Photos
  • Photo shows the war memorial which was in St Mary's Roman Catholic Church and which was removed in 1960 and is no longer on display in the church. 
Photo courtesy of Robert Illett from the collection of Ian and Roz Davies.
    St Mary's Roman catholic Church Memorial - Photo shows the war memorial which was in St Mary's Roman Catholic Church and which was removed in 1960 and is no longer on display in the church. Photo courtesy of Robert Illett from the collection of Ian and Roz Davies.