[Skip to content]



Nottingham (Old Basford) - Wesleyan Methodist Church (demolished)

The church was demolished and the memorial lost. The photograph is from a pamphlet describing the unveiling ceremony which is held in Nottinghamshire Archives (ref NC/MR/7/310) and is reproduced courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives.

Old Basford Wesleyan Methodist Church. The marble tablet was designed by AW Betts (architect) and sculptured by FS Birch. It was unveiled by Rev EW Trounson at a ceremony on Thursday 10th June 1920. The church has since been demolished and the memorial is lost. The photograph is from an Order of Service, which includes a Roll of Honour of those who served, and was deposited in Nottinghamshire Archives (ref NC/MR/7/310) and is reproduced here courtesy of the Nottinghamshire Archives. The memorial was designed to convey the simple idea of the cross of sacrifice and behind the cross the dawn typified by the rising sun. The inscription reads '1914-1918 European War (names) In ever grateful memory of those who gave their lives for their country.' The memorial is a similar design to that erected in Basford Queensberry Baptist Church.

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

P Blatherwick - P Blatherwick

F. Carnill - Frederick Carnill

J.W. Cave - John William Cave

C. Fewkes - Charles Fewkes

C Perrons - Charles Perrons

F Pinkett - Fred Pinkett

J.H. Robinson - J.H. Robinson

A. Rockley - Albert Rockley

J. Severn - John Severn

M. Stockdale - Marshall Stockdale

A. White - Arthur White

A.W. Widdowson - Alfred William Widdowson

Photos
  • The church was demolished and the memorial lost. The photograph is from a pamphlet describing the unveiling ceremony which is held in Nottinghamshire Archives (ref NC/MR/7/310) and is reproduced courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives.
    Old Basford Wesleyan Methodist memorial - The church was demolished and the memorial lost. The photograph is from a pamphlet describing the unveiling ceremony which is held in Nottinghamshire Archives (ref NC/MR/7/310) and is reproduced courtesy of Nottinghamshire Archives.