[Skip to content]

Photograph Rachel Farrand

UKNIWM Ref - 27421

St James' church, Standard Hill, closed in 1933 and was demolished two years later. Its monuments, including the war memorials, were transferred to Nottingham St Peter's church with which the parish joined in 1933. Description of memorial: the names are in red on a white marble tablet below the naked body of a young man who is lying on his back. Behind him is a Cross with rays extending round the body. Two angels with bowed heads rest their arms and wings above each side of the tablet; the angel on the left holds an extinguished lamp symbolising death, while the other holds a sealed scroll of honour. The memorial was designed and executed by Robert Francis Wilson who was a teacher at the Nottingham School of Art, Waverley Street. Wilson enlisted in the Royal Engineers and served from 1916 until March 1919. A photograph of St James' church can be found on the 'Picture the Past' website (ref. NTGM009386)

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

CD Cooper - Cecil Davey Cooper

WH Dean - William Homer Dean

CC Hall - Cecil Charles Hall

JRW Herrick - John Riversdale Warren Herrick

GA Hutton - George Adolph Hutton

R Loney - Robert Loney

EB Parr - Edgar Brian Parr

DF Parr - Denis Fillingham Parr

GL Pendleton - George Louis Pendleton

JFM Sergeant - John Furlow Mcconnell Sergeant

RE Snook - Ralph Edgar Snook

GH Stell - George Henry Stell

R Walker - Ronald Walker

H Watson - Harry Watson

LA Wilkins - Lawrence Arnold Wilkins

T Wright - Tom Wright

  • Photograph Rachel Farrand
    Nottingham - St James - Photograph Rachel Farrand
  • Names on memorial. Photograph Rachel Farrand
    Nottingham - St James - Names on memorial. Photograph Rachel Farrand