[Skip to content]



Gary Tranter - September 2012

UKNIWM Ref - 33

Ionian cross made of Clipsham stone. The memorial was paid for by public subscription including a generous donation from the fourth Earl Manvers. The memorial was unveiled by Earl Manvers on 31 July 1921, the Hon Rev Robert Dalrymple officiated. Dedication: 'In grateful memory of those men from this parish who gave their lives in the Great War (names).' The names of two men who died in the second World War have been added on a separate plaque. A roll of honour was erected in Budby chapel after the war listing the men from the Thoresby Estate and Rufford Hunt Kennels who had served. (Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project)

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

H COOPER - Horace Cooper

G GRATTON - George Gratton

J KNIGHT - John Knight

G ROBERTSON - George Robertson

F WATKINSON - Charles Frederick Watkinson

H WIDDOWSON - Herbert W Widdowson

Photos
  • Gary Tranter - September 2012
    Budby Cross - Gary Tranter - September 2012
  • Gary Tranter - September 2012
    Budby Cross - Close-up - Gary Tranter - September 2012