[Skip to content]



UKNIWM Ref - 38741

School Walk, Bestwood Village, Notts NG6 8UU. The church was built in the 1880s by the Bestwood Coal and Iron Company, owned by the Lancaster family, on land donated by the Duke of St Albans. The company also built the colliery, cottages, school and ironworks. St Mark's was a mission church and daughter church of Emmanuel Bestwood Park and the first service was held in the church in May 1887. The memorial was unveiled on 17 July 1921 by Lord Osborne Beauclerk (later 12th Duke of St Albans). The dedication on the marble tablet reads: 'To the Glory of God and in loving memory of the men of Bestwood who fell in the Great War 1914-1919'. The names on the memorial include three members of the Lancaster family.

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

James Bailey - James Bailey

Harold Bass - Harold Bass

Walter Cowie - Walter James Cowie

Robert Oswald Gardner - Robert Oswald Gardner

Thomas H Hall - Thomas Hollis Hall

Archibald G Hamilton - Archibald Gilbert Hamilton

Leonard G Heath - Leonard George Heath

Thomas James - Thomas James

Gerald W Lancaster - Gerald William Lancaster

James Lancaster - James Lancaster

John C Lancaster - John Cecil Lancaster

John T Lane - John Thomas Lane

Frederick H Pates - Frederick Henry Pates

Thomas A Reynolds - Thomas Albert Reynolds

Arthur C Richmond - Arthur Cecil Richmond

Thomas Whitby - Thomas Whitby

Photos
  • -
  • This photo was taken by Peter Gillings
    Bestwood St Marks Mission Church - This photo was taken by Peter Gillings