[Skip to content]



Everton Cemetery - Everton and Scaftworth

Memorial cross in Everton Cemetery, unveiled 30th July 1922 by General Sir Joseph Laycock K.C.M.G. D.S.O. (of Wiseton Hall), dedication by Rev. S. Curtis (Vicar of Everton), designed and made by Tyas & Guest (of Swinton), cost was around £300 Historic information source(s): Retford Times, 30th June 1922, 14th July 1922, 28th July 1922, 4th August 1922; Worksop Guardian, 7th July 1922 Square cast concrete foundation surmounted by 3-stepped square Portland stone base and blue granite plinth and cross; bottom of cross has foliated and scrolled carvings; memorial is within cast concrete enclosure with low concrete posts at each corner; names of fallen from WW1 on east face and from WW2 on west face; Inscriptions on east face read: "Lest we forget", "To the Glory of God and in ever grateful memory of the men of Eveton & Scaftworth who fell in the Great War" and "Erected by the Parishioners of Everton & Scaftworth"; mason's details carved on south face of first step: "Tyas & Guest, Sculptors, Swinton'

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

William Beech - William Beech

John Campbell - John Campbell

William Henry Cousins - William Henry Cousins

John Harrison - John Harrison

George Hudson - George Hudson

Edwin Kipling - Edwin Kipling

Walter Long - Walter Long

Alfred Mallender - Alfred Mallender

Thomas Mallender - Thomas Mallender

John Raynes - John Raynes

William Parker Richardson - William Parker Richardson

Robert Stevenson - Robert Stevenson

James Swindin - James Swindin

John William Tissington - John William Tissington

Photos
  • Photos by Peter Gillings -
  • -
  • -