[Skip to content]

Person Details
Worksop, Nottinghamshire
Arthur Brooks was the fifth child born to William and Hannah Brooks (nee Larnders) in 1876. Like all his five siblings he was born in Worksop to William and Hannah Brooks. His siblings were Fanny born in 1869, William in 1871, Edward born 1872, Sarah Ann in 1875 and Rose born 1882. Hannah, the children’s mother, died in 1891 when she was aged 50. In this year, William and the family were living at 98 Westgate and were still there 10 years later with his now married daughter, Sarah Ann Simms and her husband in residency. Arthur, at the same time was age 24 and living as a boarder at Southgate, Eckington working as a coal miner. It was sometime after this date that he left Worksop for his adventures. In 1911, William, now aged 70, was living at 27 Devonshire Street, with John and Sarah Simms now with them as head of the household.
01 Feb 1917
1458454 - CWGC Website
15th Bn Australian Infantry (AIF)
Pte. Arthur Brooks Worksop Guardian 30 March 1917 Worksop people will hear with great regret of the death in action of Pte. Arthur Brooks, Australian Imperial Force, the son of Mr William Brooke now residing in Hardy Street and a well known native of the town. Although he met his death on land, Pte Brooks was for most of his time a sailor and the accompanying photograph gives him as he appeared when Second-class Stoker on H.M.S. “Wellington,” some time ago. He was educated at Worksop and when quite young, felt a great desire to go to sea, a longing which was eventually satisfied. He served on the sea for a lengthy period and then returned to his home, obtaining work at Manton Colliery, where as a worker made many friends. After two years however, the “life on the rolling billow” returned to him with greater force, and he again became a sailor, subsequently sailing to America. But such a voyage as this did not appear to him to be sufficiently adventurous, so he joined a ship for Australia and made the voyage there. After a time he returned to England, landing at Tilbury. He remained for five or six days and went back to the Australian bush. For a long time some difficulty was experienced by his relatives in tracing him. He was in the Navy six years. Pte Brooks was a big friend of the late Pte John Marshall and they were in Australia together. With “Happy Jack” as Marshall was named from his sunny disposition, Pte Brooks offered his services with the Australian submarines but for some reason they were refused and they both entered the Colonial Army. Pte Marshall died from injuries in Leeds hospital on October 5th 1915. For some time Pte Brooks was in Egypt. He was drafted to France about four months ago and it is believed he fell when the British entered Peronne in the recent German retreat. His relatives were first notified by the Australian Office in London, that he was missing, but the sorrowful news of his death afterwards arrived, and thus an ardent Jack Tars life ended on land. The deceased was 41 and single and with the exception of his short visits to England, was away over 16 years. He served on seven ships while with the Navy, and his sister at 119 Cheapside, is preserving illustrations of those and other things in memory of her adventurous and heroic brother.
CWG additional information:- Son of William and Hannah Brooks, of 4, Hardy St., Worksop, England Commemorated on Villers-Bretonneux Memorial
Remembered on