[Skip to content]

Person Details
Sneinton Nottingham
He was the son of George and Emma Caunt of 53 Walker Street Nottingham. He was the brother of William (discharged wounded 18/1/1915), Arthur (killed in action 6/1/1915), Henry (killed in action 20/10/1914), Nellie, Theresa and Albert (still serving with the Sherwood Foresters in 1921) Caunt.
1909 - Lace Dyer 1909 - Regular Soldier
27 Oct 1916
185581 - CWGC Website
Lance Corporal
1st Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment)
Frederick firstly enlisted in the Royal Field and Horse Artillery on 19 October 1909, No 59868. He was 18 years 10 months of age, 5 feet 7 inches and a Lace Dyer. He was posted to 119th Battery at Deep Cut Barracks. On 21 January 1910 he was transferred to the Sherwood Foresters and conditions altered to 7 years and 5 years with army reserve, Authority O.C., 27th Brigade 17/1/1910; he was now No 11275. Between 29 September 1911 and 2 September 1914 he was with the 1st Battalion in India after being posted from 1st battalion. Between the 14/10/12 and 9/11/12 he is in hospital with an in-growing toe nail. The 1st Battalion landed in England on 4 September 1914 to refit and reorganise prior to moving to the Western Front. The battalion arrived in France on 4 November 1914. Frederick was wounded by a gun shot in the back on 19 November 1914 and moved down the casualty line to hospital and then on 4 December 1914 to England on the ship Carisbrook Castle. By 18 March 1915 he was fit again but by this time, his brothers Harry and Arthur had been killed and William had been discharged because of wounds. Frederick arrived back with the 1st battalion on 20 March 1915. He was promoted to Lance Corporal on 7 July 1915 and lost it on 27 September 1915, regaining it (unpaid) on 17 November 1915. He was given leave from 28 January to 4 February 1916. On the 7 July 1916 he became a paid Lance Corporal. On 15 October 1916 he was given a severe reprimand for being absent from parade. On 27 October 1916 the battalion were on the Somme and a raid was attempted at 6pm but No Man's Land was impassable because of the mud. At 8pm the CO received orders to make an attack but he protested, pointing out that the area was impassable, the men were exhausted as they had been on short rations for the 6 days in the trenches. The attack was cancelled. At about 9pm a party of enemy could be seen approaching the trench and when 40 yards away, were challenged. They lay down and some fired but after rifle and Lewis guns fire, they could be heard calling for help. Parties went out and brought in two wounded and reported two dead. Later two more enemy came over and gave themselves up. At some point Frederick was killed. He was one of five brothers - three killed, 1 wounded and discharged and the younger one Albert was still serving in the Sherwood Foresters in 1921. He is buried under grave reference IV.A.2 at Beacon Cemetery, Sailly-Laurette
Remembered on