[Skip to content]



Brass plaque formerly on the north wall at the west end of the nave but moved to the south wall of the chancel. Photograph Rachel Farrand

UKNIWM Ref - 38843

St Cyprian Church, Lancaster Road, Nottingham. The present church was completed in 1935. The building now used as a church hall was the former church which was built in 1913. The war memorial was transferred to the new building and was originally installed on the north-west wall of the nave but was moved to the south wall of the chancel when the layout of the north-west end of the nave was altered in the last few years. Dedication: 'To the Glory of God and in grateful memory of those who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great war 1914-1919. Grant them, O Lord, eternal rest and let light perpetual shine upon them'. The vicar of St Cyprian's, the Rev. Vincent Travers, enlisted as a combatant at the age of 46; the first in the diocese to enlist as a combatant. He remained notionally the parish priest but resigned in 1920 due to ill health arising from his military service. He became a rector in a parish in Kent in 1932, dying six years later. (Source: 'St Cyprian: Like a Swift Hurricane: People, Clergy and Class in a Midlands Diocese 1914-19', Michael Austin, Merton (2014) ISBN 978 1898 37 777)

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

HR Allsopp - Harry Randolph Allsopp

W Appleton - William Appleton

BW Bacon - Bertram Wilfred Bacon

JH Bacon - James Harold Bacon

CW Bakewell - Charles William Bakewell

S Bilbie - Samuel Bilbie

HC Bradbury - Henry Cyril Bradbury

C Burton - Claude Burton

GA Burton - George Albert Burton

W Burton - W Burton

C Butcher - Charles Butcher

FC Butcher - Francis Cornelius Butcher

FC Carder - Fred Carder

L Clark - L Clark

A Clifford - Arthur Clifford

EG Cole - Ernest George Cole

T Conroy - Thomas Frederick Conroy

GW Cox - George William Cox

D Craig - David Logan Craig

AW Daniel - Alexander William Daniel

C Darker - Charlie Darker

M Dessaur - Myer Dessaur

GE Duke - George Edward Duke

A J Duke - Arthur Duke

J Edge - John Edge

GW Elston - George Watkin Elston

L Etches - Levi Etches

EG Farnsworth - Ernest Farnsworth

G Foster - George Foster

J Goode - John Goode

HM Hallam - Henry Maurice Hallam

W Handley - William Handley

GJ Hayes - George James Hayes

G Hicks - George Hicks

HH Hodges - Herbert Henry Hodges

JH Humphreys - John Henry Humphreys

J Hyde - Joseph Hyde

W Hyde - William Hyde

HS Jefford - Henry Simpson Jefford

WS Judge - Wallace Staines Judge

AG King - Albert George King

A Knight - Albert Edward Knight

H Lane - Harry Stanley Lane

F Leaper - Frank Leaper

H Leavesley - Horace William Leavesley

A Lees - Arthur Lees

A Love - A Love

A Marshall - Arthur Marshall

H Martin - Herbert Ernest Martin

ES Mason - Ernest Sidney Mason

S Matthews - S Matthews

F Mellor - F Mellor

W Miller - W Miller

AA Moran - Albert Arthur Moran

T Moran - Tom Moran

H Mosley - Henry Moseley

H Palmer - Charles Henry Palmer

A Parr - Alfred Parr

A Potts - Arthur Potts

G Read - George Reed

JW Richmond - John William Richmond

RH Robinson - Richard Henry Robinson

A Roe - Archibald Christmas Roe

F Sansom - Frederick William Sansom

H Simpkin - Harold Edward Simpkin

H Slate - Henry Slate

H Smith - H Smith

J Smith - J Smith

T Soles - Thomas George Soles

TH Stringer - Thomas Henry Stringer

J Swinscoe - James Swinscoe

O Thomas - Olive Gwendoline Thomas

AE Thorpe - Alfred Edward Thorpe

H Tipping - Harry Tipping

JA Tracey - James Tracey

A Ward - Alfred Ward

A Wheatley - Alfred Wheatley

JL Winn - Joseph Luke Winn

C Wood - Claude Albert Wood

A Woodward - Arthur Woodward

J Woodward - John Woodward

Photos
  • Brass plaque formerly on the north wall at the west end of the nave but moved to the south wall of the chancel. Photograph Rachel Farrand
    St Cyprian - Brass plaque formerly on the north wall at the west end of the nave but moved to the south wall of the chancel. Photograph Rachel Farrand
  • Brass plaque formerly on the north wall at the west end of the nave but moved to the south wall of the chancel. Photograph Rachel Farrand
    St Cyprian - Brass plaque formerly on the north wall at the west end of the nave but moved to the south wall of the chancel. Photograph Rachel Farrand