[Skip to content]



UKNIWM Ref - 27005

Memorial obelisk at corner of Main Street and Broadings Lane, unveiled 25th May 1922 by Mr E. E. Harcourt Vernon (of Grove Hall), dedication by The Venerable The Archdeacon of Newark, Egbert Hacking, designed and made by Sharpe & Hoggard (of Retford), total cost was £110, erected on land given by Mr Rogers Historic information source(s): Retford Times, 2nd June 1922 & 29th December 1922 Memorial description: Two-stepped square base surmounted by square plinth and obelisk; leaded inscription on the front face of the plinth; memorial stands on concrete area and is enclosed by wrought iron railings and the front and a low brick wall and head to the rear; Scottish granite; Inscription reads: ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH WHO ENTERED INTO REST, HAVING FOUGHT THE GOOD FIGHT IN THE GREAT WAR" Research by Peter Gillings

Memorial location
Names on Memorial

W Green - William Green

H Green - Herbert Green

W Handley - Wilfred Handley

F Johnson - Frank Johnson

J Rawson - John Rawson

T Thornhill - Frank Thornhill

C Wilcox - Charles Wilcox

Photos
  • Photo Peter Gillings -
  • Photo Peter Gillings -
  • This photo shows the memorial C1922 shortly after in was erected. 
Courtesy of the Bassetlaw Museum Photo collection.
    Laneham Village memorial - This photo shows the memorial C1922 shortly after in was erected. Courtesy of the Bassetlaw Museum Photo collection.